Following the Affirming Process used by the United Church of Canada, the Committee’s mandate is to understand the need for, and the issues surrounding, congregational inclusion of the LGBTQ+ community. The Committee then supports the congregation and other committees in their understanding of the issues in order for them to be prepared for a congregational vote on becoming a member of Affirm United.
AFFIRMING COMMITTEE RESOURCES
Rev. Paula Stone Williams:
– I’ve lived as a man and a woman. Here’s what I learned.
– The story of a parent’s transition and a son’s redemption.
Why am I so Gay?
Dr. James Makokis:
Two Spirit Cree medical doctor cares for his transgender patients.
Anne Bishop: Becoming an Ally: Breaking the Cycle of Oppression in People
Amanda Jetté Knox: Love Lives Here. A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
Centre for Action and Contemplation (cac.org):
- Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditations Archive
- Final Court of Appeal, October 22, 2019
- A Deeper Tenor, October 23, 2019
- True Self and False Self, October 24, 2019
“Queer Grace is a curated encyclopedia of information and ideas around the life of LGBTQ+ people and Christian faith. We hope to offer a safe space full of resources for all those navigating their journey in the church.”