Each congregation within the United Church of Canada names at least one layperson (or more, depending on the number of members of the congregation) as its representative to the Presbytery. The lay representative must be a “full member” of the congregation.
It is the responsibility of the lay representative to Presbytery to:
- attend Presbytery meetings, including Covenanting services;
- participate in the work of Presbytery;
- report to Presbytery regarding their home congregation;
- report to their congregations regarding Presbytery discussions and decisions; and
- attend the annual meeting of Maritime Conference, if at all possible.
Updated and approved February 2017